All Saints Crondall
All Saints’, the parish church of Crondall, is of Norman origin and Grade 1 listed. Over the centuries it has had many additions and modifications, the chief one being the prominent brick bell tower which was built in 1659 to replace the 12th century tower which had become unstable.
In 2000 a major restoration programme was carried out with a new bell frame, refurbishment of the original 6 bells and the addition of 2 more to celebrate this momentous date. The tower is attached to the main church by two wooden galleries. Stairs lead up to the ringing chamber and then up to the bell and clock chamber, and to the Chancel loft and the external main church roof. The entrance to the vestry is at the bottom of the tower, and from it a door enters the main church by the altar rail.
The pipe organ is based upon an 1871 Bevington & Sons Chancel Organ with a stop-key Maunder console. Whilst the organ will continue to function for some years to come, its condition is deteriorating and it will require a major overhaul within five years. Various options have been considered but the PCC has not yet decided which route to take. There is a sound system with the facility to play music through an iPod if required.
The exterior has suffered from the weather over the centuries, and not all the repairs have been in keeping with the original building. But recent programmes of repair have been carried out sympathetic to the structure and materials used in the building.
For a virtual tour of All Saints church kindly provided by a recent visitor, please click on this link.