Buildings


All Saints, Crondall

All Saints outside ne 1All Saints’, the parish church of Crondall, is of Norman origin and Grade 1 listed. Over the centuries it has had many additions and modifications, the chief one being the prominent brick bell tower which was built in 1659 to replace the 12th century tower which had become unstable.  

In 2000 a major restoration programme was carried out with a new bell frame, refurbishment of the original 6 bells and the addition of 2 more to celebrate this momentous date.  The tower is attached to the main church by two wooden galleries.  Stairs lead up to the ringing chamber and then up to the bell and clock chamber, and to the Chancel loft and the external main church roof.  The entrance to the vestry is at the bottom of the tower, and from it a door enters the main church by the altar rail.

All Saints chancel looking east

The main church is entered through the porch at the North door, the door at the West end only normally being used for weddings and major events.  The East end of the church is truly beautiful and the chancel is well described in Simon Jenkins book ‘1000 Best Churches’.  The pews seat around 220 people and the church has standing room only at Christmas, Easter and on Remembrance Sunday.

All Saints chancel looking west

The pipe organ is based upon an 1871 Bevington & Sons Chancel Organ with a stop-key Maunder console.  Whilst the organ will continue to function for some years to come, its condition is deteriorating and it will require a major overhaul within five years.  Various options have been considered but the PCC has not yet decided which route to take.  There is a sound system with the facility to play music through an iPod if required.

The exterior has suffered from the weather over the centuries, and not all the repairs have been in keeping with the original building.  But recent programmes of repair have been carried out sympathetic to the structure and materials used in the building.


St Mary's, Ewshot

St Marys EwshotSt. Mary’s Church was one of the earlier important buildings to appear in Ewshot as the village took shape in the mid-nineteenth century.  Known as ‘the little church on the Common’ it was financed by local people, both rich and poor. It is built of stone and flint, in Early English style, to seat a congregation of around one hundred.  

The interior is plastered with a timber ceiling, and stained glass windows were installed in the late 19th and early 20th Century.   

In 2012 the church had an annexe added to provide kitchen facilities helping make the church of even greater use within the local community. 


Church Rooms, Crondall

All Saints church rooms

The church rooms are in Croft Lane just opposite the church and have recently been completely renovated. The facilities consist of a large room, a smaller room with kitchen, toilet, plus the parish office. Both rooms currently house our new CROFT CAFE, open every Friday 8.30am- 12pm, and every Saturday 9.30am-12m, serving freshly ground coffee and tea, with fresh home-made cakes. Cash or cards. Dogs welcome!